Re: newbie slapd.conf question

At 04:48 PM 4/20/00 +0000, Peter Armstrong wrote:
>dc stands for domain component.  So in the domain foo.com, foo and com are
>domain components.
>
>So you can represent foo.com as
>
>dc=foo,dc=com
>
>or
>
>o=foo.com
>
>Both of them accomplish the goal of getting a globally unique name for the
>foo.com organization (if everyone plays nice and uses domain names).

The goal for a DN is to be globally unique names which can be located.
Finding servers hosting DNs with DC naming is well understood and
implementable.  Finding servers hosting registered X.500 style
names (o=Org,c=XX) is well understood and implementable.  Finding a
server for some DN you pulled out of your thin air is not.

>Which to choose?

If you want your server to be found, use DC or X.500 naming (see
archives for pro and con discussions).  I personally prefer DC
naming as location leverages the Internet's well established
location service.