Re: Problem compiling Apache using PHP with LDAP

Antonin Novak wrote:

> I am attempting to configure Apache server (v 1.3.12) with PHP3 (v
> 3.0.16) the --with-ldap option chosen.
>
> PHP3 configures and installs ok, but when I try to run make in the
> apache directory I get a lot of errors saying that for example
>
> modules/php3/libphp3.a (ldap.o): In function "_close_ldap_link":
> /usr/local/php-3.0.16/functions/ldap.c:128 undefined refernece to
> "ldap_unbind_s"
>
> I receice approx 50 similar error messages .
>
> Has anyone come accross this or know how to resolve it
>
> Thanks
>
> Tony

>   Antonin Ch. Novak                    mailto:Antonin.Novak@cca.cz
>   Systemovy administrator
>   Systemova a technicka podpora
>   CCA spol. s r.o.                    Web: http://www.cca.cz
>   Kratka 8,
>   301 17 Plzen
>   Czech Republic
>
>   Tel: +42 019 7221253
>   Fax: +42 019 7222931

I don't know about PHP, but I saw some similar messages when I was
trying to compile mod_ldap support into apache. The problem was caused
because the module you are linking in is looking for the ldap library
(which contains all the ldap-specific functions).

I found the solution to be to edit the apache-src/src/Configuration.tmpl
file and add the following entries:

EXTRA_LDFLAGS=-L/home/rfadler/bin/openldap-1.2.9/libraries
EXTRA_LIBS=-lldap -llber
EXTRA_INCLUDES=-I/home/rfadler/bin/openldap-1.2.9/include

Then run the apache configure utility.

Please note the path "/home/rfadler/bin/openldap-1.2.9" is where I
installed openldap.

Good luck.
--
Rick Fadler