tests failed?

Hi everyone,
I'm up against a brick wall here and I've been pointed in the direction of this list as the source of my solution. :-)
I'm installing openldap (stable) v1.2.9 on our file server. The machine is a Linux PPC and we followed the openldap quickstart guide.
After making the software, we ran the tests and got the following result:

[dkelshall@bd openldap-1.2.9]$ cd tests
[dkelshall@bd tests]$ ls
Makefile  Makefile.in  README  data  scripts  test-db  test-repl
[dkelshall@bd tests]$ make
ln: ./data: cannot overwrite directory
make: [all-local] Error 1 (ignored)
Initiating LDAP tests...
Executing all LDAP tests...
Test Directory: .
Backend: ldbm
Starting test001-ldif2ldbm ...
running defines.sh . ldbm
Datadir is ./data
Cleaning up in ./test-db...
Running ldif2ldbm to build slapd database...
ldif2ldbm failed!
./scripts/test001-ldif2ldbm failed (exit 1)
make: *** [all-local] Error 1
[dkelshall@bd tests]$

We've tried recompiling the software using make -veryclean with the same result.
Any ideas what to try next?
Yours Hopefully
Dean Kelshall