Re: Modifications with referrals

At 11:36 AM 3/27/00 +0100, Neil Hunter wrote:
>On Mon, 27 Mar 2000, Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:
>
>> >The problem I've come across is that modification requests don't seem to
>> >generate referrals - is that right?
>>
>> Yes.  The only form of subordinate referrals OpenLDAP 1.x will
>> enerate is a search reference.
>
>Is that a "feature" of OpenLDAP - or is that as defined by the LDAP spec?

LDAPv2+ referrals is an experimental feature of U-Mich LDAP 3.3 which,
due to it's wide use, OpenLDAP continues to provide support for.

>It
>seems odd that it's possible to effectively hide the distribution of LDAP data
>through referrals, but only for searches. Being able to use a single address
>for queries is useful - but clients having to know which server modifications
>should be directed to seems to be a step backwards...

OpenLDAP 2.0 will provide greater support for referrals.  This will include
use of LDAPv3 elements for returning references/referrals as well as a more
robust model for representing knowledge information in the directory [based
upon IETF work in this area].

Those desiring to help implement 2.0 are encouraged to "jump on in."

Kurt