Re: Modifications with referrals

On Mon, 27 Mar 2000, Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:

> >The problem I've come across is that modification requests don't seem to
> >generate referrals - is that right?
>
> Yes.  The only form of subordinate referrals OpenLDAP 1.x will
> enerate is a search reference.

Is that a "feature" of OpenLDAP - or is that as defined by the LDAP spec? It
seems odd that it's possible to effectively hide the distribution of LDAP data
through referrals, but only for searches. Being able to use a single address
for queries is useful - but clients having to know which server modifications
should be directed to seems to be a step backwards...

Cheers,
  Neil

  Neil Hunter                                     Tel:    +44 (0)113 234 6073
  Internet Systems Developer                      Fax:    +44 (0)113 234 6065
  Planet Online Limited                           Mobile: +44 (0)7787 100 649