Fatest way to transfer ldap data to another machine

hi there,

I'm am setting a slave ldap server. I would like to copy
50,000 records from the master server into the slave. The master server is miles
away. What's the fatest way of doing so?

Can i just copy the database files over to the slave machine without shutting down the ldap daemon?

At this moment i write my C program to dump the records from master into a text file, ftp the text file
over to the slave, run another program in the slave to read line by line from the file and update the ldap using the ldap_add function call.

Problem is the slave machine is a raid machine and adding each records seems to slow

I'm thinking of the first option which is just copy the database files over. Of course i will take care to shutdown registration during this moment., but i don't want to shutdown daemon. Will it work?

thanks

ywshum