Re: migrating MD5 shadowed passwords

On Mon, 21 Feb 2000, Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:

> Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 07:20:03 -0800
> From: Kurt D. Zeilenga <Kurt@OpenLDAP.org>
> To: Benjamin de los Angeles Jr . <bench@surfshop.net.ph>
> Subject: Re: migrating MD5 shadowed passwords
>
> At 09:11 PM 2/21/00 +0800, Benjamin de los Angeles Jr . wrote:
> >How do I migrate 'shadow' passwords in MD5 format to a format which
> >OpenLDAP can recognize?
>
> You likely can just take the password field from the shadow
> passwd, prefix {crypt} to it, and store it in userPassword.
> This works if crypt(3) understands the shadow file format.

Also for MD5 passwords?????  Some linux versions such as RedHat has
than as an alternative to the standard unix crypt passwords.

This is a new type of passwords based on the MD5 hash of the password.

Ldap does support {md5} passwords in addition to {crypt} but if it uses
the exact same algorith as the new passord with MD5 I can't say.

Villy