Using Secure option in Netscape

Has anyone used the Secure option when opening an Address Book in Netscape. I
cannot find any documentation on it except not to check the box.

If so
what does it do.
How do you configure it.

I am hoping that it will give me a means of encrypting passwords passed from
Netscape to LDAP.

I have been asked to look at whether our LDAP database is a good or correct
place to store public keys. (We do not intend to use a certification authority)

The company's Pcs run one of  Win95,98,2000 & NT.
Its servers are UNIX ,VMS or NT.
We are part of a group which contains a number  of independant companies, which
require to securely communicate between each other.

Any clues or assistance, would be greatly appreciated
begin:vcard
n:Novak;Antonin
tel;fax:+42 019 722 2931
tel;work:+42 019 7221253
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:CCA spol. s.r.o.;Systemovy administrator - Systemova a technika podpora
version:2.1
email;internet:Antonin.Novak@cca.cz
title:Antonin Novak
adr;quoted-printable:;;Kratka 8=0D=0A301 17 Plzen=0D=0ACzech Republic;301 17 Plzen;;;Czech Republic
end:vcard