Re: Using OpenLDAP instead of Netscape Directory server

Raj Mathur wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Has anyone tried using OpenLDAP as a replacement for netscape
> directory server, so that other netscape applications (messaging,
> news, calendar, etc) are able to fetch and update data from/into
> openldap?  What would be the schema in case someone wants to do this?

We've been using openldap with Netscape Calendar for about a year now.
Primarily, I followed the instructions at:
http://www.openldap.org/faq/index.cgi?_highlightWords=calendar&file=194

The biggest problem I had was with passwords.  During installation,
Netscape Calendar binds to the directory server with the administrator
password.  As I recall think it expected the administrator password to
be the same as the rootpw in the slapd.conf.  To be safe, I just set all
my Netscape Calendar administrator and openldap administrator passwords
to be the same.  There may have been a better way to do it, but it's
worked so far.

> On a related note, has anyone managed to make Netscape Directory and
> OpenLDAP replicate with each other?

I was able to get this to work sometimes, but it was much more trouble
than it was worth, particularly since I didn't need Netscape Directory
Server for our calendar any more.

--
Dave Brodin
Lead Systems Engineer