RE: Newbie question: setting userPassword field

Slowly becoming clearer.  So then there would be LDAP clients that would
authenticate a user's login and password by attempting to bind?

For example, I hook up an LDAP module to Apache.  It asks me for a username
and password.  I type in "dan", and "mypassword".  Depending on the module,
it may then attempt to bind as "dn=dan, o=fatcanary" using the password
"mypassword".  The OpenLDAP then hashes "mypassword" and compares it with
the userPassword field.  If the hash matches, I'm authenticated; if not, I'm
denied access.  Am I getting warmer here?

Dan Makovec
e-mail  dan@fatcanary.com.au <mailto:dan@fatcanary.com.au>
ICQ     1398090
Every day is a gift, that's why the present is so named