RE: ldap_modify call returning wrong messageId

 Thanks for the reply Kurt.

> At 05:15 PM 1/20/00 -0600, Nalla, Suneetha R (Suneetha) *CTR* wrote:
> >I am running Openldap 1.2.1 on solaris.
>
> Try upgrading to either 1.2.9 (latest release) or 1.2.7 (stable).
>
> >I am trying to use the asynchronous
> >modify call ldap_modify, which returns a messageId for the operation
> >initiated. Seems like ldap_modify is returning me back the
> wrong messageId.
> >When I try to get back the result using ldap_result(ld,
> LDAP_RES_ANY, 0,
> >timeout, ldapResult) giving LDAP_RES_ANY as the second
> parameter it sends me
> >back the right result LDAP_RES_MODIFY but the messageId as
> part of the
> >ldapResult returned through ldap_result is different from
> what I got when I
> >did ldap_modify. I am doing just one modify operation on
> that server I am
> >not doing any think else, it always returns 0 when I do
> ldap_modify and
>
> ldap_modify() should never return 0.  The first message id used is 1.

When I check the msgid in ldap pointer it is 2, since I did a bind before
modify, but ldap_modify is returning me 0 instead of 2.

> >returns 2 as messageId when I do ldap_result().
>
> This implies you did infact did another operation, maybe an
> ldap_bind()?

Yes, I did do a bind (ldap_simple_bind) before ldap_modify. I meant to say I
didn't do any add, delete or search operations.

> >I am running the server in debug mode.

I am running slapd.

> What msgid is it reporting for the operation(s)?

conn=11 op=1 MOD dn="...,o=lucent,c=US"
Actually I attached a document which contains all the debug information of
slapd.

> Does the test suite work?  If so, it does (using ldapmodify) an
> ldap_modify_s() which calls ldap_modify() and then ldap_result with
> a specific message id (basically what your code does).  Only real
> difference is that ldapmodify always does an ldap_bind() first.

You mean the tests that come with the library. I ran them long back when I
first installed and built them they were successful. I haven't run it
recently.

> >Is this a bug that's fixed in the later versions or am I doing
> >something wrong.
>
> I do not see any changes in -lldap between 1.2.1 and 1.2.9 that
> would change this behavior.  However, I do recommend you update
> as numerous other bugs have been fixed.
>
> 	Kurt

Thanks,
Suneetha.