defining my rootDN

Ok,
I have searched through the archives without any luck, so I'll try a posting.

I am trying to set up a in house contacts database using LDAP (that will
span several sites and include overseas contacts).

I have setup my rootdn="c=au" so I can create any Australian organizations
under this. The problem is that I want to be able to store ANY
organizations in ANY country... If I try to add an organization like
'o="alfs home supplies",c=US' I get a failure because the parent entry does
not exist...

So question is: What should I set me rootdn to be ?

Do I then need to create a separate database for each country, or, is the
any object above country that I can use so that any organization/country I
define will be accepted into the database ?

The web500gw site (http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/~fri/web500gw/) seems to do
what I am after... but there is no indication of how their directory is
setup...

thanks for any assistance,
Wayne