Re: Ldap

On Thu, 2 Dec 1999, Kristinn E. Arnarsson wrote:

> I'm new to this Ldap stuff and i'v got one qustion, I whant to use ldap to
> display informations from a MySql database to an address book like in
> netscape mail or outlook mail, can ldap do query's to a MySql database ?

In theory yes - whatever LDAP server you use can probably be configured to
talk to any number of possible backends for providing persistent storage;  the
most popular backend with OpenLDAP is the embedded "Berkeley DB" database.

In practice, however, nobody has written/released a MySQL backend for OpenLDAP
do OpenLDAP won't talk directly to MySQL "out of the box".

There are, however, some programmatic backends that you could use (eg., the
shell backend) for translating the queries from the LDAP server to MySQL
queries (and returning the responses) - this will require you to write some
code to act as the bridge between OpenLDAP and MySQL.  Performance-wise, it
probably won't be as fast as a native query backend, though.

Cheers..

dave