Re: Newbie ldapsearch syntax question

On Thu, Nov 18, 1999 at 10:07:38AM -0500, William L Anderson mentioned:
>  > # ldapadd  -w secret -D "cn=ldap, dc=fv, dc=digiserve, dc=ie" < passwd.ldif
>  > adding new entry uid=ftp,ou=People,dc=fv,dc=digiserv,dc=ie
>  > ldap_add: No such object
>  >
>  > # ldapsearch -b "ou=people, dc=fv, dc=digiserve, dc=ie" "objectclass=*"
>  > gives me:
>  > ou=People, dc=fv, dc=digiserve, dc=ie
>  > o=online.ie
>  > objectclass=organization
>  >
>  >  So I have created the "ou=people, dc=fv, dc=digiserve, dc=ie" branch. So,
>  > what "object" doesn't exist in the LDAP database ?
>
> I think this fails because your definition above for
>   dn: ou=people, dc=fv, dc=digiserve, dc=ie
> does not specify an ou attribute; a more correct objectclass
> specification for this dn would be
>
>   dn: ou=people, dc=fv, dc=digiserve, dc=ie
>   ou: people
>   objectclass: organizationalunit
>
> if you want to use the organization objectclass then I think the dn
> should be
>   dn: o=People, dc=fv, dc=digiserve, dc=ie

 Ah. OrganisationalUnit is more what I should be using. So, I've changed
the top of the passwd.ldif file to have:

dn: ou=people, dc=fv, dc=digiserve, dc=ie
ou: people
objectclass: organizationalunit

dn: uid=ftp,ou=People,dc=fv,dc=digiserv,dc=ie
uid: ftp
cn: FTP User
objectClass: account
objectClass: posixAccount
objectClass: top
objectClass: shadowAccount
userPassword: {crypt}*
shadowLastChange: 10903
shadowMax: 99999
shadowWarning: 7
uidNumber: 14
gidNumber: 50
homeDirectory: /home/ftp
gecos: FTP User

 Alas, the error is the same - "no such object". Like the last time, the
object "ou=people, dc=fv, dc=digiserve, dc=ie" has been created, but not
the "uid=ftp,ou=People,dc=fv,dc=digiserv,dc=ie".

Kate

--
Microsoft. The best reason in the world to drink beer.
http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~valen