Re: Newbie ldapsearch syntax question

On Tue, Nov 16, 1999 at 12:29:26PM -0800, Kurt D. Zeilenga mentioned:
> > Made, tested & installed the LDAP server. Stuck this into the
> >slapd.conf file:
> >
> >database       ldbm
> >suffix         "dc=fv, dc=digiserve, dc=ie"
> >directory      /usr/tmp
> >rootdn         "cn=root, dc=fv, dc=digiserve, dc=ie"
> >rootpw         secret
> >
> > I've gotten a mockup passwd file imported with:
> ># migrate_passwd.pl /etc/passwd ./passwd.ldif
> ># ldif2ldbm -i passwd.ldif
> Use ldapadd to load new entries.  ldif2ldbm does not do any
> consistency checks.

 Right. Now it's giving me usable errors :)

 I still don't know how to insert the data however. I've prepended this to
the passwd.ldif file that migrate_passwd.pl has created:

dn: dc=fv, dc=digiserve, dc=ie
o: online.ie
objectclass: organization

dn: ou=People, dc=fv, dc=digiserve, dc=ie
o: online.ie
objectclass: organization

 And the first few lines of the passwd.ldif file contain stuff like:

dn: uid=ftp,ou=People,dc=fv,dc=digiserv,dc=ie
uid: ftp
cn: FTP User
objectClass: account
objectClass: posixAccount
objectClass: top
objectClass: shadowAccount
userPassword: {crypt}*
shadowLastChange: 10903
shadowMax: 99999
shadowWarning: 7
uidNumber: 14
gidNumber: 50
homeDirectory: /home/ftp
gecos: FTP User

 However, when I run:

# ldapadd  -w secret -D "cn=ldap, dc=fv, dc=digiserve, dc=ie" < passwd.ldif
adding new entry uid=ftp,ou=People,dc=fv,dc=digiserv,dc=ie
ldap_add: No such object

# ldapsearch -b "ou=people, dc=fv, dc=digiserve, dc=ie" "objectclass=*"
gives me:
ou=People, dc=fv, dc=digiserve, dc=ie
o=online.ie
objectclass=organization

 So I have created the "ou=people, dc=fv, dc=digiserve, dc=ie" branch. So,
what "object" doesn't exist in the LDAP database ?

John

--
Microsoft. The best reason in the world to drink beer.
http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~valen