Access controls not working, exactly

I have put in access to ... by lines in the slapd.conf but the
permission still seem to be the same for anonymous logins
     and authenticated logins. I've tried a bunch of different
permutations of the "access to ..." directive. eg1. access to
     dn=".*,o=XYZ,c=US" by group="cn=Group,o=XYZ,c=US" read by * none

             results in neither the groupmembers nor anonymous
authentications being
             able to read

     eg. access to dn=".*,o=XYZ,c=US" by group="cn=Group,o=XYZ,c=US"
read

             results in both the groupmembers nor anonymous
authentications being
             able to read

     Need help