a better search?

Hi All,

	I am experiencing some long search times when trying to do a search
on one directory that contains about 4500 entries.  This particular search
returns only 1 attribute, which contains a unix UID, for every DN entry.
This is needed to find the next available UID.  However, this one search is
taking up to about 2 mins to complete.  I am using Net::LDAP perl module
which I understand may not be the best performer but have no other choice
due to the platforms I work on.  Does OpenLDAP have the ability to have
store procedures as RDMS do?  Or is there a convenient way to run a script
on the server through another process?  Any information would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,