Re: LDAP¨tree structure

On Wed, Nov 03, 1999 at 09:15:44AM +0100, Matthieu LAURENCEAU wrote:
> I'd like to enter other criterias in order to group people. (like:
> "this_project", "sales", etc)
>
> How should I do that ?
> Use of OrganisationalUnit seems poor.
> Should I put lots of "cn" for each DN (cn=smith, cn=this_project, cn=sales,
> etc.)

	Why would using ou seem poor?  Sofar as I can tell (and I am
new at LDAP) that is it's sole purpose for being.

	Something like ou=sales,dc=yourdomain,dc=com would be the
way I would set that up.  cn, (common name) makes more sense to me
as a unit to be used in the RDN. (Relative Distingushed Name)

	cn=Adam Jacob,ou=sales,dc=yourdomain,dc=com

	Seems to be a very common setup...

> I know it's not _really_ an openldap_software question, but you all seem to
> have
> good experience in this area (and I also have real software questions.. :-).

	There is a great book about deploying LDAP.  It is called
Understanding and Deploying LDAP Directory Services; published by
Macmillan.  The Authors are Timothy Howes, Mark Smith, and Gordon Good.
ISBN Number 1-57870-070-1.

	Good luck!

					Adam

Adam Jacob - Cyber Trails                    Phone - (602)906-1752
Sr. Systems Administrator                    Pager - (602)447-9531
adam@cybertrails.com                         Fax   - (602)907-1799
        * Evil Lord of the Sysadmin Sith Darth Rmdashrf *