Re: Long query times: OpenLDAP 1.2.7 + BDB 2.7.7 + Solaris 7

On Tue, Sep 21, 1999 at 11:34:49PM -0700, Alan Sparks wrote:
> Lai Yiu Fai wrote:
> > Just curious how sendmail can reuses LDAP sessions.  As I known, the LDAP
> > code in sendmail 8.9.3 is still establishing new LDAP connection per lookup
> > query.  It is too expensive and overkilled in server side.
>
> Think I remember reading somewhere (article on LinuxWorld?)
> that a new version of sendmail (8.10?) is out (or almost
> out) that caches LDAP connections.  Will be a good thing.
> My memory may be faulty, perhaps more info is available at
> www.sendmail.org.

Thanks for your information.  I found your stated article in

http://www.linuxworld.com/linuxworld/lw-1999-09/lw-09-sendmail.html

It is extracted from Sendmail Conference program in O'Reilly Open Source
Convention held in August.  However, I read the presentation found in

http://conferences.oreilly.com/cd/sendmail/

It described how LDAP map lookup implementation are improved.  Here is one:

	"Keep connection open for entire transaction
	  - Previously opened connection for each query"

It seems the connection is kept open for each SMTP transcation, and not
amongst all different SMTP connections.  If that is the case, it wouldn't be
a great improvement.  Am I understand wrong?

Sorry for a bit off-topic.

Rgds,
Ken.