Re: Compiling w/ shared libs

At 01:06 PM 8/30/99 -0400, Jeff Clowser wrote:
>I'm trying to compile openldap with shared libraries
>so I can link other programs to the .so (like using
>the Netscape SDK).  I thought I did it right, but the
>other software doesn't seem to be working well with it.

Note that the Netscape SDK and OpenLDAP libraries are
neither source nor binary compatible.  However, clients
of using either library can interoperate with any LDAP
server (using LDAPv2).

>I'm trying to compile auth_ldap and php with ldap
>support for apache (http://www.rudedog.org/auth_ldap
>version 1.3.4 and http://www.php.net).  I'm installing
>this on IRIX 6.4, compiling with gcc (2.8.1).

>I've talked with the author of auth_ldap to try to get
>it working, but since php also does not work right,
>I think I may be compiling openldap wrong.

I believe both auth_ldap and PHP3 work fine with
OpenLDAP 1.2.  However, I usually build with
--disable-shared.

>auth_ldap gets a segmentation fault when it calls
>ldap_init. php also gives a segmentation fault (in apache's
>server logs) when it tries to open a connection, but
>does not log where it happened (presumably in ldap_init
>also).

Likely a mismatched headers.  Make sure you are compiling
these tools for OpenLDAP and that they find the OpenLDAP
headers and libraries.

>I configured openldap with:
>env CC=gcc CPPFLAGS="-D_SGI_MP_SOURCE -D_SGI_REENTRANT_FUNCTIONS"
>      LIBS="-lpthread" ./configure --enable-shared
>
>I installed the sleepycat stuff so I could use threads,
>and the server compiles and runs fine, as do the
>ldapsearch and other utilities that come with openldap.

Sleepycat is not required to use threads.  However, if
you do you Sleepycat, be sure that it detects and uses
appropriate threading support.