carriage returns and linefeeds

We're trying to generate an LDIF files out of a database on our mainframe,
and just looking at the file, it seem to be correct, but whenever we try to
run it through ldapadd/modify it never seemed to work. Looking closer at the
file I'm trying to import (comparing it to a hand-generated file) in hex
mode, I notice that the generated file has a carriagereturn/linefeed to end
each line, while my hand generated one only has linefeeds. Could this be the
problem, or am I looking in the wrong direction? If so, does anyone know of
a program that will strip carriagereturns out of a file?