Re: Schema, Schema, Schema

On Sat, 7 Aug 1999, Geoff Hibble wrote:

> I am currently using OpenLDAP ver 1.2.6.  I am about to implement a schema
> for users, software, and hardware. Are there any "excellent" examples or
> starting points available on the web?

To my mind, your schema is driven by your application/business requirements;
that is, you design something to suit the applications you will be using.

If you're just looking for pre-existing schemata for various entities, then
some starting points would be:

  http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1274.txt
  http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2256.txt
  http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2307.txt
  http://www.dmtf.org/spec/denh.html
  http://murchiso.com/den/
  http://search.ietf.org/search/brokers/internet-drafts/query.html

[At the last URL, search for "schema".]

Information regarding schemata for Novell's NDS and Microsoft's
Active Directory are published on their respective developer sites.

Other than that, look at the applications that will be using this directory
and see what schemata they require/use.

> How do I ensure my LDAP v2 schema is upgradable to LDAP v3 schema when I
> upgrade to OpenLDAP 2.x?

Your schemata should be fine.

> Is there a standards body that offers pre-defined objectclasses?

No single body offers object classes for everything.

Cheers..

dave