Re: Openldap crashing

First, make sure your running the OpenLDAP 1.2.2 or later.
As of this version, the server uses TCP keepalives to weed out
dead clients.

However, you could be sufferring from brain damaged Microsoft
clients that don't close streams switching from LDAPv3 to
LDAPv2.  Microsoft has a fix for this...
  http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q216/7/03.asp

On the OpenLDAP side, there are a couple of things you can
do.  One, make sure slapd have a large number of file descriptors
available to it.  Two, you can experiment server side timeouts:
  http://www.openldap.org/its/index.cgi?findid=175

Disclaimer: this patch has not yet been fully tested.