Re: SunOS 4.1.4 Compiling Error & GNU's regex

At 05:44 PM 5/19/99 -0400, Joe Novielli wrote:
>This is in reference to
>http://www.openldap.com/lists/openldap-software/9905/msg00068.html
>
>After posting a problem on compiling openldap on SunOS 4.1.4,
>michael@roka.net  (Thanks Michael) wrote to install the GNU regex and to
>use the -I and -L option.
>
>I have compiled GNU regex (although it gave just the regex.o file, is this
>normal?), and I gave GCC the -I and -L option.

I would assume 'make install' would install a ${prefix}/include/regex.h
and ${prefix}/lib/libregex.a under the $prefix you selected (or
the package default, likely /usr/local).

You must then rerun configure with appropriate CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS.
For /usr/local searching:

	rm config.cache
	env CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/local/include" LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/lib" \
		./configure

(removing the configuration cache is required in this case)

>But I still get errors, see below for output of make. Any help you would be
>appreciated.
>
>(On the side) Is there another regex library I can use besides GNU's?

Any POSIX regex library will do.  Henry Spencer's POSIX regex
works well.  (don't have a URL handy, sorry).  I believe
GNU regex and/or GNU rx should also work, but don't have much
experience with them.

	- Kurt