index statement for LDBM backend

(I posted this to the -general list, but thought it would be more
appropriate here)

I am confusing myself with the index directive for the LDBM backend.
If I have the following index lines:

index cn
index sn
index uid

the following user cannot login in (or anyone, this is just my test user):

uid=test1,ou=People,o=The Independent Florida Alligator,o=Campus Communications Inc., c=US
uid=test1
cn=test user 1
objectclass=top
objectclass=posixAccount
objectclass=shadowAccount
userpassword={crypt}thecrypted password
shadowlastchange=10704
shadowmax=99999
shadowwarning=7
shadowinactive=-1
shadowexpire=-1
shadowflag=134525956
loginshell=/bin/bash
uidnumber=612
gidnumber=500
homedirectory=/home/test1
gecos=test user 1

If I uncomment those lines, things work as expected. Why does the
precense of those index directives keep the login from working? If I
an an index line after populating the server, does that index then get
generated? Or do I need to reload all of the data after changing the
index statements?

This is OpenLDAP 1.2.1 on a RedHat 5.1 system. Using pam_ldap and
nss_ldap from padl.com
-pete

--
(peter.royal|osi)@pobox.com - http://pobox.com/~osi
"god invented turn signals for a reason"