Re: more access control puzzlement

On 12 May, Eric S. Johansson wrote:

> I've encountered a couple more puzzling things with access control.  I'm
> trying to control access by IP address and a portion of the hierarchy.
>
> The rules I want are:
> 	provide limited access (specific attributes, limited part of the
>  		hierarchy) to a group of machines,
> 	show everything to one particular host (within a limited part
> 		of the hierarchy),
> 	deny everything to everyone else.
>
> then I need to repeat these rules multiple times each one limiting access
> to a different part of the hierarchy.  Last, I need a rule granting access
> to a couple of machines for the entire hierarchy.
>
> So reading between the lines, I put in multiple rules and they look like this:
>
> access to dn="*,ou=gems,o=store"  attrs=sn,entry
>         by addr="206.34.215.253"                read
>
> access to dn="*,ou=gems,o=store"
>         by domain="localhost"                   write
>
> defaultaccess none
>
> what seems to happen is that the first rule is used but the second one is
> ignored.
[snip]

If I read this right, then there are probably two problems:

--Your limited access to attributes limits to a single host,
206.34.215.253, not as you wrote above where you wanted to
limit specific attributes to a group of machines. Similarly,
you limit full access to a domain (localhost).
--I doubt that by domain="localhost" would work properly.
localhost is generally mapped to 127.0.0.1, which is the
local network device (sometimes called lo).  It isn't supposed
to map to any valid (or illegal, e.g. 192.168.*.*) IP address.

Maybe something like this will work?  Assume the host that
gets full access is 192.168.1.1, and the domain that gets
limited access is pizza.com:

access to dn="*,ou=gems,o=store"  attrs=sn,entry
        by domain="pizza.com"                read

access to dn="*,ou=gems,o=store"
        by addr="192.168.1.1"                   write

defaultaccess none

If the group of machines you want read access is more
varied (across domain names, or not all hosts in a domain),
this definitely won't work.  (No guarantees anyway, since
I don't have much practice writing ACLs.)

-- Keith
kkeller@slip.net