Re: Open LDAP installation on Solaris 2.6 (SPARC)

I've gotten 1.1.4 and 1.2 to work thus far with either the GDBM or DB2
backends.

GDBM performance wasn't all it ought to be so we're running 1.2/DB2 off an
Ultra 1/Solaris 2.6:105181-13 kernel patch.

I had problems with:

Running ldif2ldbm to build slapd database...
     id2entry file: Bad file number

as you mention below, when using ldif2ldbm.  truss wasn't terribly
enlightening.  You'd see something like "fstat (-1, 0x[random hex])" which
would return EBADF and the whole thing would die.  Weird.  After much
prodding around the code, it turned out the ldif2ldbm process couldn't
read slapd.conf.  When I set the permissions on that file to 0644,
everything fell right into place.

Strangely enough, this only happened when DB2 was the backend.  I never
looked for a deeper cause after the permissions change fixed it...sorry.

Hope this helps!

Wyman

On Sat, 17 Apr 1999, Thomas H Jones II wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I tried posting this before, but got no response and didnt see it come
> back to me as part of the list mailing. So, I will ask again.
>
> Here's my problem. I have a Sun SPARCStation 10 running Solaris 2.6. I
> downloaded the OpenLDAP source from the openldap.org web/ftp site. I
> compiled it using the GCC produced as part of the egcs 1.1.1 package,
> using the SleepyCat 2.x Berkeley DB packages (tried both the latest
> version and 2.3.16 - same result). The package SEEMS to compile fine.
> However, when running the test scripts in the test directory, the tests
> fail with the following output:
>

>      ln: cannot create ./data: File exists
>      make: [all-local] Error 2 (ignored)
>      Initiating LDAP tests...
>      >>>>> Executing all LDAP tests...
>      >>>>> Test Directory: .
>      >>>>> Starting test001-ldif2ldbm ...
>      running defines.sh .
>      Datadir is ./data
>      Cleaning up in ./test-db...
>      Running ldif2ldbm to build slapd database...
>      id2entry file: Bad file number
>      stopping: child exited with status 1
>      ldif2ldbm failed!
>      >>>>> ./scripts/test001-ldif2ldbm failed (exit 1)
>      make: *** [all-local] Error 1
>
> I have heard from other people on the Sun/Solaris related comp.*
> newsgroups that they have had nearly identical failures, but, thus far,
> no success stories. Has anyone gotten OpenLDAP to work on Solaris, yet?
> if so, how do you go about getting the ldif* routines to function
> properly?

Wyman Miles
Systems Administrator, Rice University, Texas.
(713) 737-5827, e-mail:wymanm@rice.edu, pager:wymanm@pager.rice.edu
SalMoN AntiSpam software for UNIX: http://is.rice.edu/~wymanm/smn