pthread question ?

I am not sure if this is right list to send this mail to.
 I am installing openLDAP stable on linux
it fails to recognize the version, and says

checking for pthread.h... yes
checking for sched.h... yes
checking POSIX thread version... unknown
configure: error: unknown pthread version

Next, I had my environment variable set (as said in FAQ) i.e
 CPPFLAGS="-D_MIT_POSIX_THREADS"; export CPPFLAGS

I get this error:
checking for AIX... no
checking for POSIXized ISC... no
checking for minix/config.h... no
checking for gcc option to accept ANSI C... no
configure: error: OpenLDAP requires compiler to support STDC prototypes.

Any suggestions are welcome

Thanks