OpenLDAP on AIX woes

Has anyone had any luck getting OpenLDAP to run on an AIX system?
I'm really struggling with it, and was wondering if anyone can offer
any help!

My environment is:

	AIX 4.3.1
	gcc 2.8.1
        sleepycat berkeley db 2.3.16
        Openldap 1.1.4

I saw this message posted by another AIX user to -bugs on 1/5/99:

> Now the positive message: using gcc for mkdep and cc_r for building
> I was able to produce a slapd executable which at least doesn't dump
> core immediately after startup. More extensive testing is under way :).
> Congratulations!
>
> J.Pietschmann

and sure enough, I found I had to change mkdep to use gcc and I used
cc_r for make.

I do see a couple of warning in make:

  mkdir .libs
  libtool: link: warning: undefined symbols not allowed in powerpc-ibm-aix4.3.1.0 shared libraries
  ar cru .libs/liblber.a decode.o encode.o io.o bprint.o version.o
  ranlib .libs/liblber.a

and

  mkdir .libs
  libtool: link: warning: undefined symbols not allowed in powerpc-ibm-aix4.3.1.0 shared libraries
  ar cru .libs/libldap.a bind.o open.o result.o error.o compare.o search.o modify.o add.o modrdn.o delete.o abandon.o ufn.o cache.o getfilter.o sbind.o kbind.o unbind.o friendly.o cldap.o free.o disptmpl.o srchpref.o dsparse.o tmplout.o sort.o getdn.o getentry.o getattr.o getvalues.o addentry.o request.o getdxbyname.o os -ip.o url.o charset.o init.o strdup.o version.o

But the make does complete.  I consistently fail test004 with the following:

Cleaning up in ./test-db...
Running ldif2ldbm to build slapd database...
Starting slapd on TCP/IP port 9009...
Testing slapd modify operations...
Waiting 5 seconds for slapd to start...
Testing modify, add, and delete...
ldapmodify failed!
make: The error code from the last command is 1.

I turned on logging for slapd and this is what I see when running test004:

listening for connections on 6, activity on: 8r=> ldbm_cache_open( "./test-db/id
2entry.dbb", 7, 600 )
<= ldbm_cache_open (cache 1)
=> str2entry
<= str2entry 0x20ed30e8
entry_rdwr_wlock: ID: 8
<= id2entry_w( 8 ) (disk)

=> access_allowed: entry (ou=Information Technology Division, ou=People, o=Unive
rsity of Michigan, c=US) attr (children)

=> acl_get: entry (ou=Information Technology Division, ou=People, o=University o
f Michigan, c=US) attr (children)
<= acl_get: no acl applicable to database root

=> acl_access_allowed: write access to entry "ou=Information Technology Division
, ou=People, o=University of Michigan, c=US"

=> acl_access_allowed: write access to value "any" by "cn=Manager,o=University o
f Michigan,c=US"
<= acl_access_allowed: granted to database root

=> access_allowed: exit (ou=Information Technology Division, ou=People, o=Univer
sity of Michigan, c=US) attr (children)
entry_rdwr_wlock: ID: 0
=> id2children_add( 8, 20 )
=> ldbm_cache_open( "./test-db/id2children.dbb", 7, 600 )
<= ldbm_cache_open NULL "./test-db/id2children.dbb" errno 9 reason "Bad file num
ber")
<= id2children_add -1 could not open "id2children.dbb"
id2children_add failed

I think that errno 9 is where it is failing anyway.

Can anyone give me any guidance/direction on this one?  I'm about ready
to surrender, white flag and all!

Thanks much!

Jackie
---
Jackie Hunt
ACNS                                    Voice:  (970) 663-3789
Colorado State University               FAX:    (970) 491-1958
Fort Collins, CO  80523                 Email:  jackie@yuma.acns.colostate.edu