search matching woes

I just recently compiled and started OpenLDAP stable, and
I'm having an intermittent error when I search for cn's with
a large number of matches.

When I use Netscape Mail and search for all the "smith"s, I
see a 80 or so matches, and then the error:

  "Failed to search 'OpenLDAP' due to LDAP error 'Unknown error' (0xFFFFFFFF)"

In the OpenLDAP log I see:

  ber_flush: 172 bytes to sd 8
           0 81 a9 02 01 02  d 81 a3 04  Q  c  n  =  C  o
           r  i  n  a 20  E  l  l  a 20  S  m  i  t  h  ,
          20  o  u  =  C  h  e  m 20  E  n  g  r  , 20  o
           u  =  S  t  u  d  e  n  t  , 20  o  =  C  o  l
           o  r  a  d  o 20  S  t  a  t  e 20  U  n  i  v
           e  r  s  i  t  y  , 20  c  =  U  S  0  N  0 19
          04 02  c  n  1 13 04 11  C  o  r  i  n  a 20  E
           l  l  a 20  S  m  i  t  h  0 0d 04 02  s  n  1
          07 04 05  S  m  i  t  h  0  " 04 0f  t  e  l  e
           p  h  o  n  e  n  u  m  b  e  r  1 0f 04 0d  9
           7  0  -  4  9  5  -  3  6  1  5 20
  ber_flush failed errno 0 msg (Error 0)
  conn=2 op=1 fd=8 closed errno=0
  listening for connections on 6, activity on:
  before select active_threads 0

Doing an ldapsearch -b <basedn> -p <port> cn=*smith
results in several matches being listed on the screen
and then the error:

	ldap_result: Can't contact LDAP server

Any ideas what's happening here?  I am using port 1389
so I don't conflict with our production LDAP server.

Thanks for any ideas/suggestions!

Jackie Hunt
---
Jackie Hunt
ACNS                                    Voice:  (970) 663-3789
Colorado State University               FAX:    (970) 491-1958
Fort Collins, CO  80523                 Email:  jackie@yuma.acns.colostate.edu