Re: No space left on device (was Re: )

At 14:27 -0600 19 November 1998, Frank Smith <franks> wrote:

> When I first installed openldap, I got the 'No space left on device'
> error even though I had hundreds of megs free on every partition, lots
> of free RAM and swap, and was only running ldif2ldbm on a 100-line
> ldif file.
>
> I finally realized my config files were 'not right' in several ways.
> After much config editing and a lot 'no space' errors I eventually
> ended up with a working database (not set up the way I needed, but
> that's a different story).  I don't recall the last change that made
> it work, however.
>
> I suspect that 'no space' may really mean it doesn't know where
> (namespace wise) to put the data and so fails in writing it, but I
> didn't dig in the source to find the possible causes.
>
> Frank
>

> On Thu, 19 Nov 1998, Nils Henrik Lorentzen wrote:
>
> > clundel@coat.com wrote:
> > >
> > > When I use the ldif2ldbm program to build a database with about
> > > 1550 entries, I get the following message:
> > >
> > > idl_insert_key: No space left on device stopping: child exited
> > > with status 1
> > >
> > > Can anyone tell me why this happens, and what I can do to fix this
> > > problem?
> >
> > >From the "No space left on device" message it seems the partition
> > on which the database is built is full. You can use the 'df' command
> > to get a list of how much space is used on each partition, to see if
> > this really is what is causing the problem. (The 'df' command exists
> > on Linux, dunno if it has the same name or exists on other Unixes).
> >
> > Nils Henrik

There's also this, from the Innosoft LDAP FAQ at
http://www3.innosoft.com/ldapworld/ldapfaq.html:

	4.8 I am using NDBM and strange things are happening...

	For example, when adding entries with either ldif2ldbm or
	ldapadd, I get the error "idl_insert_key: No space left on
	device".

	NDBM is severely limiting on Solaris and most other platforms
	and should not be used in servers. Alternatives include the
	Berkeley database package and GDBM.

--
John Hensley <hensley@merit.edu>
Merit Network, Inc.