Re: MDB, read/write mmap

--On Friday, September 07, 2012 6:04 AM -0700 Howard Chu <hyc@symas.com> wrote:

In asynchronous mode MDB writes are pretty much fastest all across the
board. In fully synchronous mode it's slower but still quite competitive.

I enabled the new bits in my local RE24 build, and did a test against one of the largest databases I have available to me to play with that consists of real data. It is a 4.6GB LDIF File. My test is done on an UBUNTU10 LTS VM with 16GB of RAM. This test was with slapadd -q

MDB prior to writemap:

time /opt/zimbra/openldap/sbin/slapadd -q -b "" -l /tmp/ldap.bak -F /opt/zimbra/data/ldap/config -#################### 100.00% eta none elapsed 02h21m04s spd 567.5 k/s
Closing DB...

real    141m5.743s

MDB after writemap:

zimbra@zre-ldap001:~$ time /opt/zimbra/openldap-2.4.33.2z/sbin/slapadd -F /opt/zimbra/data/ldap/config -q -b "" -l /tmp/frontier.ldif .#################### 100.00% eta none elapsed 45m19s spd 1.7 M/s
Closing DB...

real    45m19.682s

HDB (Using a 12GB SHM key):

zimbra@zre-ldap001:~$ time ./libexec/zmslapadd -q -F /opt/zimbra/data/ldap/config -b "" -l /tmp/frontier.ldif _#################### 100.00% eta none elapsed 01h40m27s spd 797.0 k/s
Closing DB...

real    101m22.404s

So in my scenario, MDB is now 3.1 times faster than it used to be, and it is now 2.25 times faster than BDB. Nice!

--Quanah

--

Quanah Gibson-Mount
Sr. Member of Technical Staff