back-sql maintenance

I have been using OpenLDAP on Linux for a number of years and am now
evaluating a transition towards the back-sql backend but I understand this
is no longer actively maintained. Would somebody on this list be so kind
as to go into some of the reasoning behind this lack of development? Is
there now a better alternative for LDAP integration with an existing SQL
schema? Is the methodology of back-sql seriously flawed? Is it just a lack
of volunteers? I have encountered a possible bug and, having the
resources, would like to help maintain this SQL backend if that is the
appropriate thing to do.

Thanks,
-shawn