Re: (ITS#6710) Mods already refreshed on a forwarding server is lost by its consumer

[I have switched this thread from -its to -devel]

On 11/22/10 1:31 , Howard Chu wrote:
rein@OpenLDAP.org wrote:
On 11/15/10 16:39 , rein@OpenLDAP.org wrote:
New syncprov consumers connecting to a forwarding server and
presenting an
apperently up-to-date cookie will loose any mods that have already
taken place
on the forwarding server if it itself is refreshing from its
provider. This
should not be a problem if the forwarding server have a sufficiently
large
syncprov log, but a fix for servers without is coming.

The currently committed fix for this its leaves one problem open. If a
forwarding server restarts in the middle of the refresh phase, after
making some changes but before updating the csn, new consumers
connecting with an apparently up to date csn set after the server comes
up again will not know that the context is dirty and will loose these
changes. The same problem arise if the server restarts between the time
a locally initiated delete operation is performed in the database and
the accompanying csn set is saved.

A fix could be to always assume the context is dirty after start up, and
thereby forcing all clients to undergo the refresh phase even if they
are in sync until some operation that updates the csn set is performed.
An unnecessary refresh is probably better than loosing changes..

I haven't had the opportunity to review these patches yet, but the bug
description sounds a little flaky to me.

This ITS as well as the previous should probably have mentioned that they are related to refreshAndPersist replication.

The original design is this: when a consumer requests a refresh from the
provider, the provider uses a snapshot of its current contextCSN. All
changes from the consumer's cookie to this snapshot (inclusive) are sent
to the consumer. Any changes currently in progress that have not yet
been committed will be skipped until the next refresh. Nothing is lost,
it's simply delayed, and that's in accordance with syncrepl's "eventual
convergence" model.

This is true for the refresh only configuration, I guess these problems don't show up there as they will be fixed during the next refresh. But if the persist phase is entered without a proper refresh first then the consumer have forever lost the missing changes. Or well, until the admin forces a full refresh that is.

Likewise, the provider only updates its contextCSN when a change is
fully committed. syncprov should NOT need to defer any consumer while it
has outstanding mods. There is no reason that would be needed by the
sync protocol.

This ITS does not delay the consumer, it forces a refresh even if the consumer appear to be in sync with the provider (from looking at the CSNs of the provider and consumer).

ITS#6709 introduce a delay, this is not dictated by the protocol but by the implementation. syncprov_matchops() decide which consumers the change should be sent to before the change is actually made to the db. This leaves a window where a consumer may connect and apparently be in sync, enter its persistent phase but not receive the changes that was active when it connected. Waiting for this active change to complete before deciding whether the consumer is in sync or not closes this window.

Servers only update their contextCSN after an entire refresh has
completed. If a downstream consumer connects while a forwarder is still
refreshing, the consumer should receive nothing. (Or, it should only
receive the changes between its cookie and the server's committed
contextCSN, if any.)

The consumer connects and appear to be in sync with the provider, therefore the provider initiates the persistent phase immediately without any refresh first. Without the fix in this ITS syncprov had no idea that there was uncommitted changes (i.e changes not accompanied by a CSN update) within its context, changes that requires the refresh phase to be performed even when an consumer that appear to be in sync connects. And an restart of the provider at the inappropriate time can make it loose this knowledge again as I outlined in my first reply.

Yes, in refresh only mode the server sends the changes between the cookie the consumer presented and the servers committed csn. But in the refresh phase of refreshAndPersistent mode it sends all changes newer than the consumers csn. Which opens the windows where the ITS#6709 and ITS#6710 cases can loose modifications.

You may very well have found bugs in the implementation, but it sounds
to me like you've changed the overall behavior to something outside of
the original design.

No, I don't think I have changed the design, if it was changed then it was the persistent mode that did it..

Rein