Re: (ITS#3665) Multi-Listener Thread Support

 On 7/31/10 3:28 AM, Howard Chu wrote:
Revisiting an old thread...

http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-devel/200504/msg00066.html

I'm definitely seeing our current listener running out of steam on servers with more than 12 or so cores, and some work in this direction will definitely help. First it would be a good idea to classify all of the tasks that the current listener manages, before deciding how to divide them among multiple threads.

The listener is responsible for many events right now:
  signal/shutdown processing
  idle timeout checks
  write timeout checks
  runqueue scheduling
  listener socket events
  threadpool pauses
  client socket read events
  client socket write events

Splitting the client socket handling across multiple threads will bring the greatest improvement in scalability. Just need to check our thinking and make sure the remaining division of labor still makes sense.

There are two cases that annoy me in our current design - why don't we just dedicate a thread to each listener socket, and let it block on accept() ? That would eliminate a bit of churn in the current select() workload.

Likewise, why don't we just let writer threads block in write(), instead of having them ask the listener to listen for writability on their socket? Or, if we're using non-blocking sockets, why don't we let the writer threads block in their own select call, instead of relying on the central thread to do the select and re-dispatch?
If your writer threads block until the socket is writeable, how many threads will you need to have if many client never read the data ? You might quickly not have any remaining writing threads available... The select() is supposed to tell you when a socket is ready to accept more write, then it's time to select a writing thread to push data into this socket. You just need a pool of writing thread, and when a writing thread has pushed data into the socket, then it becomes available for the next write.

The first, obvious answer is this: when threads are blocked in system calls like accept(), we can't simply wake them up again for shutdown events or other situations. I believe the obvious fix here is to use select() in each thread, waiting for both the target fd and the wake_sds fd which is written to whenever a signal is caught. Off the top of my head I'm not sure, when several threads are selecting on the same fd, if they all receive a Readable event or if only one of them will. Anyone know?
Why would you have more than one select() ? Wouldn't it be better to have one thread processing the select() and dispatching the operation to a pool of threads ?

All in all, what costs CPU consumption in a server is most certainly the processing of incoming and outgoing requests, not the processing of the select() operation, no ?

Im' maybe a bit tainted by Java, but it's really based on the same mechanisms under the hood...

--
Regards,
Cordialement,