nssov change proposal

If this is the incorrect list to discuss nssov on please accept my apologies and point me in the right direction. the docs don't indicate a better place.

First let me start with saying what I am trying to achieve. If there is an alternate way to do this using memberof/dynlist I have not been able to figure it out. I am trying to get host access based on group membership working. Consider the following definition for 2 hosts:

dn: cn=host1,ou=hosts,dc=example,dc=com
objectClass: ipHost
objectClass: myHostAccessObject
cn: host1
ipHostNumber: 10.1.2.3
hostAccessGroup: admins
hostAccessGroup: dbas
authorizedService: sshd

dn: cn=host2,ou=hosts,dc=example,dc=com
objectClass: ipHost
objectClass: myHostAccessObject
cn: host2
ipHostNumber: 10.2.3.4
hostAccessGroup: hrpeople
hostAccessGroup: dbas
authorizedService: sshd

The hostAccessGroup refers to the name of a group whose users can access the machine. For example:

dn: cn=admins,ou=access,dc=example,dc=com
objectClass: groupOfNames
cn: admins
member: uid=user1,ou=people,dc=example,dc=com
member: uid=user2,ou=people,dc=example,dc=com

dn: cn=dbas,ou=access,dc=example,dc=com
objectClass: groupOfNames
cn: dbas
member: uid=user1,ou=people,dc=example,dc=com
member: uid=user3,ou=people,dc=example,dc=com

dn: cn=hrpeople,ou=access,dc=example,dc=com
objectClass: groupOfNames
cn: hrpeople
member: uid=user1,ou=people,dc=example,dc=com
member: uid=user4,ou=people,dc=example,dc=com

Given the above, user1, user2 and user3 will be able to access host1, and user1 and user4 will be able to access host2.

It seems to me access based on group membership should be easy to do but I have struggled with it immensely. I am new to LDAP so it is most likely a lack of knowledge on my behalf but I have done a lot of research and have not been able to find a way to do what I want. I know the nssov documentation says the prefered mechanism is to use hostservice, and I would like to, but I can't see how to create an ACL that would implement the above. An alternative would be to use some existing group entry, such as a posixGroup but that has even more complications as the memberUid is just the UID and not a DN for a person.

Given that I can't see a way I would like to propose either extending nssov or perhaps writing a dynacl module that could help implement this. Before I rush off and attempt a design I would like input from this list to see if you think its a worthwhile idea.

Thank you for your time.
Kean.