Re: "widely supported scripting language" for make test (was ITS#5809)

Michael Ströder wrote:

What do you consider a "widely supported scripting language"?

During some discussions about the test suite I felt that having a more powerful scripting language would help dealing with some of the problems in a more elegant way.

I know this is going to raise a can of worms. Since we're aiming at all Un*x platforms without very special development tools, I believe plain sh and awk (no gawk or so) is sort of mandatory.

I concur we could make use of much better languages (I'd vote python over perl, but that's personal taste), but I think we cannot have stock tests requiring python right now.

For more specialized things, like developers-only tests python would probably be fine.

p.

Ing. Pierangelo Masarati OpenLDAP Core Team

SysNet s.r.l.
via Dossi, 8 - 27100 Pavia - ITALIA
http://www.sys-net.it
Office:  +39 02 23998309