Re: StartTLS URL extension

On Mon, 6 Oct 2008, Howard Chu wrote:
> Michael Ströder wrote:
> > Philip Guenther wrote:
> > > I agree that ldap_initialize() should behave as it currently does,
> > > setting up the handle but not opening any connections.
>
> > So this would need ldap_initialize() to defer calling ldap_start_tls().
> > I don't think that's what Pierangelo has in mind.
>
> But that might actually be the simplest approach. ldap_initialize() can
> parse the URL and set a flag in the LDAP* handle noting that StartTLS
> was requested.

In the LDAP handle?  You mean in the LDAPURLDesc for that URI?  I would
expect
	ldap_initialize(&ld,
		"ldap://server.example.com/????!1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.20037,";
		"ldap://127.0.0.1/,ldapi://";);

to automatically negotiate TLS when connecting to server.example.com, but
not when connecting to 127.0.0.1 or the UNIX domain socket.

(Hopefully I haven't mangled the syntax from the RFC too badly...)

Philip