Re: StartTLS URL extension

Philip Guenther wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Oct 2008, Michael Ströder wrote:
>> Pierangelo Masarati wrote:
>
> In ldap_initialize(), please.  IMO, the proposal solves two problems:
>
> 1) it lets you use StartTLS with applications without the application
>    author having to add code (and an option, probably) to do so
>
> 2) it lets you naturally request StartTLS on a per-URI basis
>
> The former is only obtained if this is done from the library.

I can see the advantages, especially since I have somthing like this in
web2ldap's LDAP URL handling.

> Seem, like a non-problem to me: if the app has an "ldap-tls" option, you
> would document that the user should not turn that option on if using the
> starttls URI extension or vice versa.
>
> (All of Sendmail's products that use LDAP have such an option, plus logic
> to only use ldap_start_tls_s() on plain ldap:// URIs and not ldaps:// or
> ldapi:// URIs, but I think putting this in the URI is the Right Thing and
> see no long-term problems with supporting this.)

It's slightly different: From my understanding up to now
ldap_initialize() itself did not send out a LDAP PDU. So the error
handling of applications might not be prepared for ldap_initialize()
causing a real error. This is an incompatible API change.

> Such apps have a problem already, as they have to exclude ldaps:// URIs
> from that.  This is just like an ldaps URI, except instead of starting
> with "ldaps", it ends with "starttlsOIDgoop".

It's not the same since calling ldap_start_tls() sends out the first
LDAP PDU which might lead to another error.

Ciao, Michael.