Re: Deleting overlays from cn=config

Michael Ströder wrote:
Howard Chu wrote:
Hallvard B Furuseth wrote:
You also need to walk through the database and delete any attributes
object classes defined by the overlay.  That'll be at least any
operational attributes since they must be hardcoded into the C source.
I wouldn't bother with that, since the schema definitions are still
present. Those attributes would simply stop being updated/generated...

Hmm, I'd consider this to be seriously flawed. It strikes me that there might still exist operational attributes in some entries which are no longer maintained by the DSA and there's no schema information available anymore.

Think of backup/restore situations where slapadd checks the schema...

That's a broken administrative process then. E.g., I backup my DB using slapcat, then delete the overlay. Now the backup is essentially invalid, unless I also backed up cn=config and restored everything together.

We can trigger a background thread to try to cleanup the DB contents, but if the slapd is shutdown while the thread is running, then the job will only be half done. There's no remedy for that situation.

No matter what, you have to be prepared to clean up the LDIF as a separate step, if the slapadd runs into unknown schema.