Re: slapd size and file descriptors

Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
--On Wednesday, February 27, 2008 9:41 PM -0800 Howard Chu<hyc@symas.com>
wrote:
This configuration is totally illogical. Even Google was only running
their OpenLDAP installations with 3072 connections, and I doubt you're
getting more load than gmail...

Why are you assuming that connections are the only things that eat up file descriptors? And as I noted, OpenLDAP is not the only thing running on the server.

We're not talking about a server-wide setting here, we're talking about a per-process setting. You really believe any of those apps you talked about will ever have 524,288 files open at once? And then multiply that by multiple processes? Do you have any idea how much kernel memory it requires just to have that many file buffers?
Chief Architect, Symas Corp. http://www.symas.com