Re: Thread pool efficiency

Howard Chu wrote:

Testing on an 8-socket AMD server with Opteron 885 dual-core processors (16 cores total) and a Sun T5120 (T2 Niagara 8 cores, 64 hardware threads) has shown that our current frontend code is performing very poorly with more than 16 server threads.

You mention one particular hardware architecture here. Looking through the rest of your performance tuning slides that I know of, I'm not seeing a lot of this kind of work done on other architectures. Is this possibly an AMD or Intel limitation? Or maybe there are OS-specific issues?

I only ask because right now our big OpenLDAP servers are on Sun SPARC processors (UltraSPARC-IIIi?) running Solaris 9, and I'm wondering if the problems we've had in the past might be related to our particular hardware/OS choices, as compared to the ones you've been testing with.

Just curious. Thanks!

--
Brad Knowles <b.knowles@its.utexas.edu>
Senior System Administrator, UT Austin ITS-Unix