Re: commit: ldap/servers/slapd connection.c daemon.c proto-slap.h syncrepl.c

Howard Chu wrote:
Howard Chu wrote:
Howard Chu wrote:
For reference, the peak throughput with back-null on the previous code was
only 7,800 auths/sec (with 8 client threads). With this patch it's 11,140
auths/sec. In both cases the throughput declines as more client threads are
used. (Compare to 35,553 auths/sec for the same machine running Linux, and no
drop in throughput all the way up to hundreds/thousands of connections.)

Re-running on Linux with a non-optimized build, peaked at 40,101 auths/sec. (I
guess HEAD has sped up a bit more in the past week or so...)

OK, this is odd. The code compiled without optimization peaks at 40K auths/sec at around 124-132 client threads. The code compiled with -O2 peaks at 37K sec at around 128 client threads.

The -O2 build is faster from about 4 to 24 client threads. From 28 on up, the nonoptimized code is faster at every load level. I was originally using gcc 4.1.2 but I'm seeing the same result now using gcc 4.2.2. Also, slapd is only configured with 8 worker threads in all of these tests. Strange that whatever optimizations the compiler has generated speeds things up for lighter load, but works against it under heavier load.
Chief Architect, Symas Corp. http://www.symas.com