Re: BerkeleyDB versions

Hallvard B Furuseth wrote:
Quanah Gibson-Mount writes:
That's not strictly true; 4.4 and 4.5 have better 64-bit support and
we've been recommending them for 64-bit servers. So BDB 4.2 has not been
the sole recommended version for OL 2.3.
Huh, I've been using BDB 4.2 on 64-bit servers no problem... And it still
performed better than 4.4 or 4.5 on 64-bit.

It sounds to me like it's a bit early to remove support for the possibly-best BerkeleyDB version we have so far. 4.6+OpenLDAP hasn't seen much exposure yet after all. At least, I suggest to delay changes which will be hard to revert if 4.3-like problems do crop up.

Agreed. The current code in CVS is working with 4.6.19, but performance is terrible, using up over 3x more CPU time and still running over 3x slower than 4.2.52 or 4.6.3. I don't know what they've done between 4.6.3 and current, but it's definitely not ready for primetime.

I've also got a version of the code written to Oracle's recommendation (using read-only transactions) which works with 4.3 and up, but again, the performance is abysmal. As such, I'm not committing that version.

Still talking to the Oracle/BDB folks to see where to go next.