Re: (ITS#4991) pcache and rwm don't play well together

On Tuesday 19 June 2007 19:09, Howard Chu wrote:
> Ralf Haferkamp wrote:
> > No comments on this? So I guess this means I can just go ahead and submit
> > the patch to HEAD for testing?
> >
> > On Monday 04 June 2007 17:13, Ralf Haferkamp wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> slightly related to the above ITS, I have found another issue. I am not
> >> sure though if this is a bug or if the behaviour is intended. I have a
> >> setup here were the pcache and rwm-overlay is used on top of back-ldap.
> >> rwm is used to rewrite some Attributetypes unknown to the Schema of the
> >> local server to Attributetypes that are defined in the local server. As
> >> the attribute values from unknown attribute types cannot be normalized
> >> by the proxy, I am wondering if rwm should normalize them during the
> >> Mapping process? Otherwise the Values will endup un-normalized in the
> >> cache database, and I get incomplete results when requests are answered
> >> from the cache.
> >>
> >> I have a patch ready for this but I was wondering if the normalization
> >> step is left out by intention and wanted to ask before commiting my
> >> patch.
>
> It used to be a requirement that any data passing through back-ldap be
> defined in the local server's schema. Recently that requirement was
> relaxed. I don't see how you can normalize them safely, without knowing
> their schema constraints.
Yeah, there of course case were you can't normalize safely. Probably that
feature should get a config-switch (defaulting to "no normalization"). But
there are a lot of case where normalizing according to the constraints of the
mapped attributetype should "just work".
E.g. we have to proxy here for a directory that uses all kinds of strange
attribute types instead of the well defined existing types (e.g. it uses an
attributetype "fullname" instead of "displayname" or "cn") and we know that
we can savely map them to one of the well defined attribute types. But we are
a bit reluctant to pollute the schema of the server (which also host other
databases) with those attribute types.

--
regards,
	Ralf

SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5, D-90409 Nuernberg
T: +49-911-74053-0
F: +49-911-74053575 - Ralf.Haferkamp@suse.com