Re: access ... by certificate=...

Hallvard B Furuseth wrote:
Howard Chu writes:
Hallvard B Furuseth wrote:
Could we add an 'access ... by' variant for the client's TLS
certificate, _without_ Bind:SASL/EXTERNAL?
(To the cert's DN, I expect, but I don't know much about
certificates.  Maybe there are other things to look at as well.)

That could be used to authenticate a service (an LDAP client)
rather than the user it Binds as, when the service asks the user
for password and Binds with his DN and password.
(...)
This sounds like a special case of proxy authorization. Can't you just
use that?

Not that I can see. man slapd.conf says under authz-policy: Proxy authorization (...) essentially allows user A to login as user B, using user A's password. But I want the service to authenticate the user with his own credentials and identify itself with its credentials, and use both identities for access control in a single access statement.

A more general description would be, grant access based on the
DN which would be used if the client were to do Bind:SASL/EXTERNAL,
or possibly the DN which would be passed to authz-regexp.

access to ...  by self extdn=<certificate's DN> write  by * read

I guess it's feasible to implement this. It seems to me that this would mean executing the DN mapping code even though SASL/EXTERNAL wasn't invoked, which seems a tad wasteful. It may be appropriate to skip the mapping and only use the raw DN here, since it's not actually being associated with any particular user.
Chief Architect, Symas Corp. http://www.symas.com