ldap_start_tls(), ldap_install_tls() and async

ldap_start_tls() is async, but ldap_install_tls() appears to send stuff
over the network.  (I get errors on the server side about unknown protocol
if my client app does not call ldap_install_tls(), so I'm just guessing
that ldap_install_tls() sends network traffic.)  So the problem is that
ldap_install_tls() is not async and does not accept a timeout parameter.
I guess that ldap_install_tls() does some crypto stuff as well, eg
obtaining random data which might block.

So doesn't ldap_install_tls() need to be async in order to make the start
tls operation as a whole async?

Or am I missing some information.

thanks
-frank