Re: Incompatibilities between 2.1 ldapsearch and 2.3 servers?

--On Monday, July 17, 2006 10:41 AM -0700 Howard Chu <hyc@symas.com> wrote:

Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
I thought that the "ldapsearch" binary from any given release should
work with a server running a different release, but this does not
appear to be the case.  Our 2.3.24 Linux servers cannot be searched
with a 2.1.25 ldapsearch binary if there are a lot of results.  What
we get is:

ldap_result: Can't contact LDAP server (81)

If I use a 2.3 series ldapsearch binary, the search completes without
problem.  The ldap server seems to think that the 2.1 binary issued an
UNBIND request:

No, the ldapsearch binary *does* issue an Unbind request once it gets the error 81. Most likely this is a SASL buffering bug that was fixed after 2.1.25.

Hm, okay. This binary worked fine when the servers were running OpenLDAP 2.3.23, it just stopped working when I upgraded to Linux and 2.3.24. I'll guess that the SASL buffering issue is getting triggered under linux being much faster. ;)

--Quanah

-- Quanah Gibson-Mount Principal Software Developer ITS/Shared Application Services Stanford University GnuPG Public Key: http://www.stanford.edu/~quanah/pgp.html