Re: slapd quits under heavy load

--On Tuesday, March 14, 2006 1:08 PM -0800 Herb Hrowal <hhrowal@gmail.com> wrote:

What version of OpenLDAP are you running?  What operating system are you
running under?

That particular bit of code was to address a *bug* in the /Solaris
Kernel/. Basically, that clause is only going to get triggered when
there are serious problems with your OS.

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Developer

We're running Openldap 2.2.23 under Solaris 8 Generic_108528-26. However, the section of code above was copied from OpenLDAP 2.3.17 and is virtually identical to the same section in 2.2.23. We run on various hardware configurations including V210, 280r, and 440 and they all exhibit the same behaviour.

What is the bug in the kernel that you were trying to work around? Is
there a better way to address it? Does it even exist in the latest
patches?

Yes, this bug exists in all Solaris 8 kernels that I've used.

Our work around for slapd quitting is to have a watchdog process
relaunch it whenever it quits, but we would like to move away from
that method of keeping it running.

You need to upgrade to 2.3.20, which has a workaround for the problems in the Solaris kernel. The problem is that the kernel will allow selects on filehandles that are no longer in existence.

--Quanah

-- Quanah Gibson-Mount Principal Software Developer ITS/Shared Application Services Stanford University GnuPG Public Key: http://www.stanford.edu/~quanah/pgp.html