Re: [Fwd: (ITS#4337) inserting a bdb instance]

I'm not sure I clearly understood the issue; if I have

dn: olcDatabase={1}bdb,cn=config
olcSuffix: dc=foo

dn: olcDatabase={2}bdb,cn=config
olcSuffix: dc=bar

and I want to add

dn: olcDatabase=bdb,cn=config
olcSuffix: dc=foobar

I'd expect:

a) if I don't place any {X}, to become

dn: olcDatabase={3}bdb,cn=config
olcSuffix: dc=foobar

b) otherwise, if I want to make it the first of the list, I'd expect to
need to do something like

dn: olcDatabase={1}bdb,cn=config
olcSuffix: dc=foobar

and see the rest become

dn: olcDatabase={2}bdb,cn=config
olcSuffix: dc=foo

dn: olcDatabase={3}bdb,cn=config
olcSuffix: dc=bar

I've tried both and none seems to work: Am I missing anything?

p.

On Mon, 2006-01-16 at 10:09 -0800, Howard Chu wrote:
> Things like this really call for a hierarchical database config
> mechanism. Then we could get rid of the clumsy glue/subordinate syntax
> and just put databases where they're supposed to go, explicitly.
> Something like:
>
>     dn: olcDatabase={0}frontend,cn=config
>
>     dn: olcDatabase={0}bdb,olcDatabase={0}frontend,cn=config
>     olcSuffix: dc=example,dc=com
>
>     dn:
> olcDatabase={0}bdb,olcDatabase={0}bdb,olcDatabase={0}frontend,cn=config
>     olcSuffix: ou=part1,dc=example,dc=com
>
>     dn:
> olcDatabase={1}bdb,olcDatabase={0}bdb,olcDatabase={0}frontend,cn=config
>     olcSuffix: ou=part2,dc=example,dc=com
>
> Of course, the above is just ugly.
>
> If we restricted all databases to have a unique single suffix, we could
> just use the suffix DNs:
>
>     dn: dc=example,dc=com,ou=Databases,cn=config
>
>     dn: ou=part1,dc=example,dc=com,ou=Databases,cn=config
>
>     dn: ou=part2,dc=example,dc=com,ou=Databases,cn=config
>
>     dn: cn=deeply
> nested,ou=container,dc=example,dc=com,ou=Databases,cn=config
>
> I would have preferred this approach originally (we used something
> similar in Connexitor EMS) but the restrictions are a bit of a problem.

Ing. Pierangelo Masarati
Responsabile Open Solution
OpenLDAP Core Team

SysNet s.n.c.